Wedding planning is in full swing – you’re probably thinking of beautiful things like dresses, flowers, music . . .
You need to remember one very important (although less exciting) aspect to your wedding –
Your Marriage License.
Here are a few important reminders on getting your license.
- • The rules and requirements very from state to state, and even from county to county, so call your city hall or local marriage license bureau before you go in to apply for your license so you know what you need to have.
• Don’t wait until the last minute to get your license. Some states have a waiting period from the time you get your license to when you can get married. This waiting period can be at least 72 hours, or even 5 days.
• On the flip side, don’t get your license too early. Marriage licenses do have expiration dates. The usual range is 30 – 90 days.
• The bride and groom have to apply together, and have to be in person.
• You will be required to show a valid form of ID. In some states, a driver’s license will do; in others you will also need to bring your birth certificate.
• If you have been married before, you will be required to show a divorce decree or death certificate.
• The cost of the marriage license can vary greatly – anywhere from $20 – $100. And most areas only accept cash – no checks or credit cards.
To apply for a marriage license in the State of Ohio:
- • If either the bride or groom (or both) lives in Ohio, you must be a resident of the county where you are applying – but the license is good in the entire state.
• If both the bride and groom live out of state, you must get the license in the county where the ceremony will take place.
• There is no waiting period.
• The license is good for 60 days.
• A valid drivers license is an acceptable form of ID.
• Average price for the license is $45-$75 (only cash is accepted – no checks or credit cards).
I know I’m repeating myself here, but it’s very important –
The rules and requirements vary from state to state, and even from county to county, so call your city hall or local marriage license bureau before you go in to apply for your license so you know what you need to have.
Hearts, Joy, Love!
Do you have a wedding question or need help with your wedding plans? Then contact me today at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 937-235-2586 or 937-581-3647!